Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Packing actually ruins lives

Okay, so maybe the title is a little melodramatic. But the packing process is taking forever - largely as a result of my lack of focus - and thus, I'm going to complain. I've got most of my clothing together (but have realized now that I don't have pants), have toiletries (also realized I have to buy shampoo), and my laptop. So I think I have most of the bases covered. Hopefully.
So on from packing to the rest of the getting ready process. Got my traveler's checks (cheques, for our readers in the U.K. - namely you, Leah) from AAA today. And given the extra money I have from the SASC fellowship, I'm going to take about Rs. 40,000 ($1000) with me. That's probably enough to rent an apartment or something. Sweet.

Even in the midst of the crazy packing, getting checks/cheques, and buying supplies, I don't really feel like I'm leaving just yet. It still feels very surreal/distant, even though my flight is on Thursday (fun fact: I thought it was on Wednesday for the longest time, but luckily my dad got me to check my ticket). Last summer I was much more aware of the fact that I was leaving home for a long time, but this time around, it hasn't felt real yet. I rationally recognize that I won't see some of my friends till Thanksgiving, but I haven't felt the same sense of urgency as last year. I think I've just accepted that I'll stay friends with them whether or not we hang out before I leave. Which is pretty comforting.

What is NOT comforting is the fact that the program still has not told me where I will be staying, where I will meet the program representative, or whether or not I am expected to cook for myself. For those of you who have not heard stories, I am a dreadful cook. If we take a count, I've given food poisoning to: my brother Anand, my good friend Ryan, myself, and a few others. And that is in the good old U.S.A., where there is far less concern about getting clean food. I can only imagine what's going to happen if I have to fend for myself in India. Also, I won't really have access to a phone unless a family friend comes through for me and can get me a cell phone. Gotta love Indian connections.

Finally, and most depressingly, it is unclear whether or not there will be internet access in my apartment/homestay family's place (I... don't actually know which is will be). Hopefully there will be internet access so I can keep my 2 followers up to date (in case you are reading this and are not already a follower, FOLLOW ME! I need to feel like I'm writing to more people than just my roommate and "biffle."

2 comments:

  1. maybe if you wrote more, you'll get more readers. also you have to threaten people to following you. like kaitlyn. work with me on this one.

    re: internet, i mean you didn't have it when you were in like the most technologically advanced country in the world. i do hope you do though so you can find about out summer things like the lebron sweepstakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is biffle in quotes? Roommate isn't in quotes. Is Eliot like, really your roommate and I'm not reaaaally your biffle? Hmmmm?

    Don't answer that.

    Also, I fist-pumped when I read my name up there. No one saw. But I thought I'd let you know.

    Furthermore, there are these things called internet cafes. Use them, love them. Also, please don't die. Like actually.

    ReplyDelete